There are many forces that when working together create successful enterprises. The key ones for us are a streamlined concept, a great operator, a long-term vision, a unique selling proposition and ultimately a product mix that resonates with your guests.
For the first half of this year many enterprises have engaged our firm to advise them on store flow and product mix. The question arises often, what makes a great product mix? First and foremost, a great product mix is one where when the guest walks into your enterprise, and without thinking knows what to order. Your role as an enterprise is to guide the guest through the experience, while the guest feels as though there are many choices to make; the actual decision process is easy.
When thinking about product mix, we highlight a few quick tips to maximize the guest experience and financial success.
- Day parts. Which ones will you be offering; breakfast, lunch, midday, dinner, late night?
- Core products. Establish the core products that the enterprise will produce.
- Maximize kitchen production. Are the core products you are producing actually the ones that are anticipated to be the top sellers? If not, think how to best maximize kitchen production for the top sellers.
- Complimentary products. Once you have established the core products, think about what additional product groups compliment your menu.
- Streamlined Concept. With all of the above, does your product mix speak to your vision of the concept.
Try not to steer far from your concept. We have worked with many enterprises that want to be everything to everyone and this formula is a recipe for disaster. No one enterprise can be everything but one enterprise can be something great with a clear message.
Happy product mix…TaraPaige Group.